Pooraka Clean
        Home Guernsey
Pooraka Home 2011
Mascot/Nickname: Bulls
Grades: D4, D4R
Established: 1920
Joined SAAFL: 1996
Former Name(s): Abattoirs (1915-67)
President: Keith Whales – 0417 568 615
Senior Coach: Steve O’Connor – 0417 743 890
Football Director: Paul Dittmar – 0448 686 765
Website: Click here

Club History


Pooraka began life as the Abattoirs Football Club and spent most of its early years in the North Adelaide District Association. The senior teams went into recess in the late ’50s but was revived in 1964 when it played in the A2 Grand Final. It then struggled in A1, but the rapid development of the district led to the name change to Pooraka in 1968 and the development of Lindholm Park once the drought conditions eased and turfing the ground recently acquired by the Council was possible. When the North Adelaide District combined with the East Torrens Association to form Norwood-North in 1969, the Club opted to join the CDFA and played at A1 level, then joined Norwood-North in 1976, playing in the A2 Grand Final and so earning promotion to A1 under coach Graham Durbridge.

When the S.A.F.A. formed in 1978 Pooraka became an inaugural member, and since that time it has become one of the strongest metropolitan football clubs. It completely dominated S.A.F.A. in the latter years of that association, winning six Division 1 premierships between ’84 and ’94. When S.A.F.A. folded in 1996 the Club joined the S.A.A.F.L in the second division of the Premier League as it was then called, winning the Division 2 premiership in 1997. It found Division 1 tough in 1998 and returned to Division 2, but fought its way back to the top in 2002 after winning the Div. 2 flag in 2001. Club record-holder is Johannes “Yopie” Vandermoer with 421 games.

A History of the South Australian Amateur Football League 1911-1994, Fred Bloch © 1995

Thanks To Our Major Sponsors