Hope Valley’s first oval was near the Bremen Hotel and next to the old coal mine, and players such as Perc Elliott used the Hotel for change-rooms. The original colours were red and black, but these were changed in 1935 when the Club combined with the neighbouring Highbury Football Club and adopted that Club’s red and blue colours. The jumper was navy blue with a red six-pointed star on the chest. During the Second World War the Club combined with Tea Tree Gully. In 1949 the jumper was changed to the Norwood league club’s design, then in 1975 to the current style of royal blue and red vertical stripes. Stephen Arnott, who had played 345 games for the Club as at the end of 1993, began his senior playing career in Victoria at the age of 16 and had played 547 games in total. The first club-rooms were built in 1951 much to the players’ delight as they no longer were required to change behind the box-thorn bushes and native pine trees that then bordered part of the oval. The new two-storey club-rooms at Hope Valley Oval were opened in 1974.
A History of the South Australian Amateur Football League 1911-1994, Fred Bloch © 1995